Friday, March 19, 2010

Review: The Giver

The Giver (The Giver, #1)

Title: The Giver
Author: Lois Lowry
ISBN/Publisher: 978-0-440-23768-6/Dell Laurel-Leaf (part of Random House)
Awards: Newbery Medal
Age Group/Genre: Young Adult

Twelve year old Jonas lives in a society where children are promoted to a different stage of life every year. And at twelve years old, the children are promoted to their training for their adult life...what they're careers will be. However, The Elders who are in charge of the community will choose the careers for them.

Jonas gets one of the biggest honors of the community by being named the next Receiver of Memory. He will be trained by the Giver who will give him the past memories of the community. It is shocking for Jonas to learn different feelings like love, and that there are colors in the world.

How will Jonas deal with learning such strong memories in a world that is supposedly Utopian?

First off, I have heard such wonderful things about this book and I am so incredibly glad that I finally read it. Jonas lives in a world that at first seems like Utopia, but we learn that it is more dystopian. Yes, it is a society that is in order and seems perfect, but how much can a society know if the people don't have their feelings?

It is such an interesting society...In order to be a part of a family, the people need to apply for marriage and then are paired together. And if you want children...you have to apply to get a child...who won't even be your biological child.

But it really does come down to how Jonas accepts his role as the new Receiver. His new thoughts of feelings make him re-think how his society runs...for the better or for the worse??? The plot of this story leaves you wanting to read it quickly because the characters are memorable and so is the society. At the end of the novel, I wanted the next book to find out what will happen next.

The Giver is definitely a book that gets you thinking about the world and I definitely recommend this book to everyone!!!!

(This book was bought at a store called FullyBooked)

My Rating***Now go and grab your fave cup of tea (or whatever beverage you prefer) and HAPPY readings***


4 comments:

  1. This book sounds great! I added it to my wishlist. By the way I've sat down with a cup of blueberry tea :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, I love to know when ppl add books to their wishlist : ) And Blueberry tea is one of my faves...I love it with a splash of soymilk and a little sugar : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. THE GIVER is one of my favorite books of all time. Wasn't it amazing? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was an amazing book. Now I need to finish the series. This book made me a fan of Lois Lowry.

    ReplyDelete