Friday, October 9, 2009

Review: The Boy in the Striped Pajamas


Title: The Boy in the Striped Pajamas
Author: John Boyne
ISBN/Publisher: 978-0-385-75153-7/David Fickling Books (Part of Random House)
Age Group/Genre: Young Adult

In 1942, The Fury has dinner at Bruno's home and it changes his life. Bruno and his family have to move from Berlin to "Out With" because Bruno's father will be the Commandant there. Bruno doesn't have the same view in his new bedroom like he did in Berlin. This time his view is a fence with men and boys dressed in grey striped pajamas.

Being a curious nine year-old, he goes exploring to the fence and finds Shmuel on the other side of the fence. The two boys start an unusual friendship. They don't ever play together like typical boys because of the fence, that neither of them can cross. They just talk, but still Bruno cannot comprehend why Shmeul looks the way he does...small, pale, and skinny.

How will this friendship unravel...will Bruno understand the reasoning for Shmuel being on the other side of the fence???

First off, I don't know if I would label this as a young adult novel. I think it is more for children ages ten to twelve. Don't get me wrong, it is still a great book for others to read. But I would more likely recommend it to that age range.

This book was a little frustrating for me to read because it is written from a young boys point of view. He repeats things over and over again to the point where I thought I read certain pages already, but that is just the style. Bruno was also very naive because he really had no idea what his dad's job was. So, there were certain situations with him and Shmuel where I literally slammed my book down and had to walk away. Shmuel's character really kept the book going for me and I wanted Bruno to understand where Shmuel came from.

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas
had my emotions all over the place. One second I'm frustrated, the next moment...I'm happy, and then sad, then angry...oh goodness *sigh*. Right after reading this, I would have rated it a 3, but days later I kept thinking about the characters. And if the characters stay with me for so long I have to change the rating.

My Rating:

Now go and pick up your favorite cup of tea (or whatever you prefer) and HAPPY readings!!!

***I really want to watch the movie...so here is the trailer***

No comments:

Post a Comment