Thursday, July 30, 2009

Review: A Company of Swans


Title: A Company of Swans
Author: Eva Ibbotson
Age Group: Young Adult
My Rating: 4/5

Nineteen-year-old Harriet Morton is a beautiful, smart young lady and loves school. But she has a father that believes young women should not be educated and an aunt that is tight on money and has no care or sense of fashion. So she no longer goes to school, but they do allow her to take ballet lessons.

One day in ballet class a Russian ballet master comes and watches to look for a girl to join his company for a tour of The Amazon. Of course, he wants Harriet to join, but she instantly knows her family will not allow her to run off to the jungle.

She runs away from England after hearing her father's refusal to let her go. In the Amazon she learns to dance ballet and also finds an Englishman that she falls in love with. But unknowingly, her father sent a man (a guy he wants to call his son-in-law) to search and bring her back to England.

Can Harriet stay with the man of her dreams or does her dreadful family pull her back and put her in her place?

Now, I'll be honest I chose this book because Stephenie Meyer (one of my fave contemporary authors) likes this book. At first, I was a little disappointed because the beginning was so slow and boring. Then after the scene in the maze with the little boy, I knew it would get better. I was just waiting for the "prince in shining armor" to come....basically I wanted the cute romantic stuff to happen.

And it did...I loved the Amazon chapters with Rom and Harriet. Even though Rom is way older (my opinion) he was perfect for young Harriet. She was so naive and he is so not, but he cared for her and truly wanted to keep her innocent.

The ending was cute and it was a book that made me smile. I can't wait to continue reading more Ibbotson books..she does a good job taking romance books back to the pretty, old school days of "man comes and rescues helpless girl."

So, if you're in the mood for an "awww, that's so cute. I love it when the guy comes to the rescue" type book...grab this one!!!

Quotes I enjoyed...

"'I must say that I find that a perfectly detestable nightdress,' said Rom cheerfully. 'Your aunt Louisa can certainly pick them!'" Rom, page 357

"Poor Harriet, I'm always abducting you in unsuitable clothes." Rom, page 359

No comments:

Post a Comment