Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Review: Plain Truth

Title: Plain Truth
Author: Jodi Picoult
ISBN/Publisher: 978-1-4165-4918-5/Atria Books (part of Simon & Schuster)
Age Group/Genre: Adult

A baby is found dead in an Amish farm. The evidence is stacked high against an unwed Amish teenage girl. Katie Fisher denies not committing the murder, but also denies having the baby.

Ellie Hathaway leaves the big city of Philadelphia and her big defense attorney job to get some relaxation at her aunt's farm out in Paradise, PA. But soon finds herself defending Katie. Not only is she going to be Katie's lawyer, but she volunteered to be her guardian. Now, Ellie has to live on the Amish farm with the Fishers.

Who killed the newborn??? And will Ellie survive on an Amish farm???

I really love how Picoult is able to change the point of views in her stories. This one is told in a third-person and also from Ellie's POV. Plain Truth really is a mystery. There are times when I get really frustrated because it was really hard for me to understand Katie's problem.

This story was sometimes difficult for me to read because it did deal with a baby's death, let alone his murder. Once again Jodi Picoult really gets a reader's emotions going, but I still love her. Sometimes I wonder if Jodi was a lawyer in her past life because all the stories I've read by her deal with the court room. This was a wonderful read and I also learned a lot because the author did so much research (come on...she even lived on an Amish farm to get a better understanding of their culture).

I totally recommend this book!!!
BTW...I would love to get a hold of the made for TV movie adaptation of this book.

A fave line...
You can be happy for someone else's good fortune, but that doesn't mean you forget your own bad luck. Katie Fisher, page 358

My Rating

Now go and grab your cup of tea or J. Picoult's prefered french vanilla coffee (or whatever beverage you prefer) along with a Jodi Picoult book and HAPPY readings!!!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, sounds very good and informative. Last year I saw a documentary about the Amish and their religion. Very interesting. This book does sounds very emotional, but very good.
    Thank you for posting your great REVIEW>

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only read Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult and I have My Sister's Keeper in my shelf--I plan on reading it sometime. Plain Truth sounds amazing (perhaps not for the tender hearted). :)

    Is this one of the books made into a Lifetime movie? I saw that there were some movie adaptations of her books on iTunes a while back, but I can't remember which ones exactly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Nina

    Jessica...yeah, this was a made for tv movie on Lifetime. There were a couple others, but I can't name them off the top of my head.

    ReplyDelete