Sunday, January 23, 2011

Review: The Lying Game


Title: The Lying Game
Author: Sara Shepard
ISBN/Publisher: 978-0-06-186970-9/Harper Collins
Age Group/Genre: Young Adult

Summary...
Emma is a teenager and she has been in foster care since she was a little girl because her mom took off one day. So Emma never really knew her family and until her foster brother shows her video of a girl that looks exactly like her...things change. Emma discovers that she is a twin and goes on a search for this look alike girl named Sutton. So she leaves the life that she knows and heads out to Arizona. This search leads to something weird because the reader knows that Sutton died. However, no one else knows...not Sutton's  friends or family. While in Arizona, weird and threatening notes are given to Emma when she become suspicious about her twins disappearance. Will Emma find out what happened to Sutton???

Thoughts...
This was my first book by Ms. Shepard and so I went into it knowing that she was a popular author, but not realizing that this would be such a mystery. I'm not much of a mystery novel type of girl, but this book totally sucked me in. 

I'll be honest, I was a little confused during the first few chapters because the narration was coming from Sutton and then we get Emma's story. So it took me a bit of getting used to, but it got easier to understand who was who. But I was really captivated by the mystery of the story and the want to figure out if Emma can help her sister (even if she'll never meet her). Then, we read about mean girls. Now living in a world of bullying, it was sometimes hard to read because I couldn't and didn't want to believe (even if it is fiction) that this could happen. So I really appreciated the end where Ms. Shepard recognizes that these were mean acts that she came up with and that they in no way should happen in real life.

This is book one of The Lying Game series and I really cannot wait for the rest of the series to come out. I want...no I NEED to know what will happen to the characters. I wish the book didn't end!

Go pick this one up if you're a fan of YA mysteries!!!

(This was an Advanced Readers E-Proof downloaded from NetGalley)

Rating

***Now go and grab your fave cup of tea or because Mariah is our guest, grab her preference of a salted caramel hot chocolate OR peppermint hot chocolate (or whatever beverage your prefer) and HAPPY readings***

No comments:

Post a Comment