Sunday, August 16, 2009

Review: The Second Summer of the Sisterhood


Title: The Second Summer of the Sisterhood
Author: Ann Brashares
ISBN/Publisher: 0-385-73105-1/Delacorte Press (part of Random House)
Age Group/Genre: Young Adult

***WARNING...This may contain spoilers because it is part of a series (and it is kind of hard to discuss this book without referring to the previous novels in the series)***

This is the second book of The Sisterhood in the Traveling Pants series by Ann Brashares. Again, the four girls do their thing for the summer and a couple of them leave their home town to do it.

Lena spends her summer working at a retail job that she does not like and is also missing her Greek boy Kostos. But Kostos shows up for a while and their love continues, then tragedy strikes. Now Lena doesn't know what to do...will the traveling pants help her???

Carmen, oh Carma. She is also at home, with a babysitting gig to make some dinero. The jeans hardly help her, but her mom thinks it will help. Carmen despises her mother for making a fool out of herself over a man. And not only that...but her mom actually wore the jeans out...oh no! Are the jeans magic for moms, too?

Lena goes off to NYU for film school and has to discover who she is when she's not around her friends. Being that she's at film school, she needs to make a documentary. And she chooses her mom of all people. Will Tibby be a fake and fit in with the other film kids or will she see through people's facade like her old friend Bailey???

Bridget leaves town last minute in hopes to discover who she is (she lost herself after the incident from the previous summer). Off to Alabama she goes to "re-meet" her grandma and possibly her favorite thing in the world (besides her BFF's). Will the pants work for her, even after all the weight she gained over the year???

Oh goodness, book two still kept me interested in the series. I love these girls and I do wish I can secretly be a part of their sisterhood. But I will have to say, this book was more based on the mother/daughter relationship...and I love that.

All girls go through rocky relationships with their moms and this book definitely demonstrated that. Once again, this book was relatable and that is something A.B. does so well. I can see a little of my mom and me, or my mom and my sister, or a mom-daughter pair that I know of in the mother-daughter duo in this book. (My specific situation is the one was with Carmen and her mom...OMG how can her mom act so ridiculous, right??? Well, Carmen I do wish I had read your story when my mom started to date after my dad died. Maybe I would have handled things a little better. But I guess I can be a brat like you sometimes...LOL).

If you enjoyed the first book, def. read this one too...I love this series and I am glad to know about it. So girls grab it and read it!!!

Favorite quotes...
It was such a dorky thing to do, but at least Tibby was being the kind of dork she could feel good about. page 214

Any place at any time. If you are thinking of me, you can be sure that I am thinking of you. Kostos, page 256

[...] I mean putting myself out there in the way of overwhelming happiness and knowing you're also putting yourself in the way of terrible harm. I'm scared to be this happy. I'm scared to be this extreme. Lena, page 283

My Rating:
***Now go and grab your fave cup of tea (or whatever beverage you prefer) and HAPPY readings***

No comments:

Post a Comment