Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Review: The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants


Title: The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants
Author: Ann Brashares
ISBN/Publisher: 0-385-73058-6/Delacorte Press (part of Random House)
Age Group/Genre: Young Adult

This is the story of four best friends and their magical jeans. Lena, Bridget, Tibby, and Carmen have been BFF's since they were babies. They have spent every single summer together until this one. This time Lena goes off to Greece to visit her grandparents, Bridget heads to Baja for soccer, Carmen flies out to South Carolina to see her dad, and Tibby is left behind at home.

But before they leave the D.C. area, they discovered a pair of jeans that fits each one of them. Impossible...right? Nope these are magic jeans that will bring them together even in distance. These jeans will fly all around the world and bring a little bit of home to the girls.

In Greece, Lena tries to ignore a Greek boy falling in love with her. Bridget gets into a little trouble in Baja. Tibby friends a younger, sick girl. And Carmen faces her Dad and his surprise. Can these girls get through the summer without each other and can the jeans really bring some magic to their lives???

This book is all about friendship and the sisterhood (thus the title). And I heart this book, I really do. Each girl has their own story and their own personality, but I think any girl in this world can relate to them.

I love how I was able to relate to the girls. Lena...we are both shy. Bridget...I know what it's like to only have one parent left in this world. Carmen...I definitely know what it's like to have a parent all of a sudden get married. (And Tibby...we didn't relate that much in this book, but I still love her).

So, I think every girl should read this book. Especially if you want to read about beautiful, true friends. I will even give this book to girls entering high school to read together with their friends. I really wish my friends and I from high school were like this. I do miss them, but this book made me think of all our great times.

Favorite quotes...
I'm afraid of time. I mean, I'm afraid of not having enough time. Not enough time to understand people, how they really are, or to be understood myself. I'm afraid of the quick judgments and mistakes that everybody makes. you can't fix them without time. I'm afraid of seeing snapshots instead of movies. Bailey Graffman, page 174
Maybe happiness didn't have to be about the big, sweeping circumstances, about having everything in your life in place. Maybe it was about stringing together a bunch of small pleasures. Wearing slippers and watching the Miss Universe contest. Eating a brownie with vanilla ice cream. Getting to level seven in Dragon master and knowing there were twenty levels to go. [...] Maybe everybody had the same allotted measure of happiness within each day. Maybe it didn't matter if you were a world-famous heartthrob or a painful geek. Maybe it didn't matter if your friend was possibly dying. Maybe you just got through it. Maybe that was all you could ask for. Tibby Tomko-Rollins, page 282

My Rating

***Now go and grab your fave cup of tea (or whatever beverage you prefer) and HAPPY readings***

No comments:

Post a Comment