Monday, August 10, 2009

Review: Speak


Title: Speak
Author: Laurie Halse Anderson
ISBN/Publisher: 0-14-240732-1/Speak (part of Penguin)
Age Group/Genre: Young Adult

Melinda Sordino is entering high school. Exciting times, right? Not for Melinda because in her high school she's the outcast. No one, I mean no one wants to be her friend. She gets pushed around when they find out who she is. And why? Well because Melinda called the cops at a summer party and everyone at school is pissed at her.

Except, there is a reason why she called the cops, but she doesn't tell anyone. The one person she wants to tell the most is her best friend from childhood, but she plain out tells Melinda that she hates her. Melinda can't even turn to her parents because they have their own issues. So she goes the whole year in isolation and without a voice...can she find her voice to tell others what happened?

I picked this book up because so many people on Goodreads.com kept mentioning it. I had no idea what this book was about and I'm glad that the story revealed itself on its own. So I'm not going to say much here because I want you to read it on your own and find out why Melinda isn't speaking.

I say this book is a definite recommendation for everyone (so long as they're old enough). I will tell you that this book is a young adult book. So do not give this book to a kid that isn't mature because it involves a topic that they might not understand. So if you're an adult...read it...if you're a young adult...you should talk to your parental units/guardians about it...and if you're an adult giving it to a kid...definitely talk to the kid about the topic in this book.

I love this book & I will read LHA's other books!

One favorite quote...
My parents didn't raise me to be religious. The closest we come to worship is the Trinity of Visa, MasterCard, and American Express. Melinda, page 29
My Rating

***Now go and grab your fave cup of tea (or whatever beverage you prefer) and HAPPY readings***

3 comments:

  1. Ooh, I heard so much about this book, thanks for the great review! I will surely pick it up!

    I really, really like your blog. I just made a book blog myself, so I'm going to add you to the blogroll, okay? And follow you. You're like inspirational, lol! :)

    xoxo
    Nikola.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have been tagged for a meme :)

    http://cunninghamfan.blogspot.com/2009/08/how-many-have-you-read.html

    ReplyDelete